I have always known this plant to be highly poisonous : and sometimes been a little scared just standing next to one, just in case! But this year, I have picked and eaten this fruit, and not only survived but prospered, thansk to the good people at Transition Finsbury Park, which is practising permaculture principles and helping local people start growing right here in N4.
They are very gelatinous berries, but with a mild flavour. The trick is to not eat the pip in the middle, which is the poisonous bit, but just the soft jelly-y bit around the outside. And even if you do accidentally eat a pip, apparently that’s no biggie either ; they just pass through!